Mr. Clark's Professional Experience
George R. Clark has decades of experience advising senior law firm management and partners on matters of ethics, professional responsibility, and risk management. Hi resume details his immense experience advising attorneys, as well as preparing and trying complex cases before federal and state courts.
George R. Clark Jan. 2004 - Present
Attorney at Law
910 17th Street, N.W., Suite 800
Washington, DC 20006
- Solo practice representing law firms, lawyers, and their clients in all aspects of professional responsibility, ethics, and risk management.
- Act as expert witness on professional responsibility and standard of care issues.
- Render advice and opinions and consult regularly with law firms and individual lawyers on all issues related to professional responsibility and ethics including, e.g., business intake decisions, conflicts of interest, lateral hiring, attorney-client privilege, disqualification, fee disputes, Rule 11, dissatisfied clients, bar complaints and admissions, lawyers changing firms, insurance coverage, attorney discipline, advertising, risk management policies and procedures, engagement letters, subpoenas, mergers, and business subsidiaries.
Reed Smith LLP, Partner-1989 - Dec. 2003
- Ethics, professional responsibility, and risk management partner for Reed Smith DC with extensive firm-wide duties for 1000-lawyer firm with 18 offices in the US and UK (ALAS Loss Prevention partner until firm withdrew from ALAS).
- Claims investigation and management, including selecting, supervising and actively working with outside counsel and insurers, in claims and suits nationwide.
- Insurer audits and annual and loss prevention meetings with insurers.
- Design, develop, and implement law firm ethics training and counseling program.
- Prosecute and defend as first-chair, trials (up to 10 weeks and 100 or more depositions) of numerous complex and protracted civil cases, with recoveries ranging up to $200 million. Appeals argued in several US Courts of Appeal and various state Supreme Courts.
- Extensive experience mentoring/training lawyers during 10 years as Assistant Litigation Group Head; developed and implemented a 2-year long trial training program.
Professional Associations & Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar Legal Ethics Committee, 2017 - Present
- Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers, President, 2017 - 2018
- Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers, President Elect, 2016 - 2017
- Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers, Board of Directors, 2012 - Present
- Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers, Treasurer, 2014 - 2015
- Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers, Secretary, 2015 - 2016
- ABA Center for Professional Responsibility Coordinating Council, 2017 - 2018
- ABA Center for Professional Responsibility Coordinating Council, Liaison to the CPR's CPR/SOC Professional Responsibility Council, 2016 - 2017
- District of Columbia Bar Rules of Professional Conduct Review Committee, 2006 - 2012
- District of Columbia Bar Rules of Professional Conduct Review Committee, Chairman, 2009 - 2012
- Liaison to ABA Center on Professional Responsibility Policy Implementation Committee, 2012 - 2016
- District of Columbia Bar Nominations Committee, 2013
- American Bar Association, Center for Professional Responsibility, 2006 - 2012
- International Bar Association, Media Law Committee, Chairman, 1996 - 2000
- International Bar Association, Vice Chair, 1992 - 1996
Pierson, Ball & Dowd, Partner 1980-89, Associate, 1973-80, 1973-1989
Washington, D.C. (Merged into Reed Smith 1989)
- ALAS Loss Prevention partner for malpractice insurance and in-house counsel on ethics/conflict of interest and related issues.
- Prepared and tried complex cases in federal and state courts across US, on health care, communications, libel and invasion of privacy, antitrust, and business tort issues.
- Served on Executive Committee during Reed Smith merger negotiations; negotiated final agreement.
- Head of Litigation Practice Group (5 years).
Law Clerk for the Honorable William B. Jones 1972-1973
United States District Court for the District of Columbia
Areas of Practice
- Professional Malpractice Law
- Ethics & Professional Responsibility
- International Law
- Expert Witness
- Bar Admissions
- District of Columbia
- US District Court of the District of Columbia
- US District Court District of Maryland
- US Court of Appeals District of Columbia Circuit
- US Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit
- US Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit
- US Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- US Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- US Court of Appeals 7th Circuit
- US Supreme Court
- University of Illinois College of Law, Champaign, Illinois
J.D. - 1972
- Honors: Order of the Coif
- Law Review: University of Illinois Law Review, Articles Editor, 1971 - 1972
- University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana
B.S. - 1969
- Major: Physics
Past Employment Positions
- Reed Smith LLP, Washington, DC, Partner, 1989 - 2003
- Pierson, Ball & Dowd, Partner, 1980 - 1989
- Pierson, Ball & Dowd, Associate, 1973 - 1980
- Hon. William B. Jones, United State District Court, District of Columbia, Law Clerk, 1972 - 1973
Pro Bono Activities
- Committee of 100 on the Federal City, Chairman, 2010 - 2012
- Committee of 100 on the Federal City, Trustee, 2006 - 2013, 2015
- President, Federation of Citizens Associations of the District of Columbia, 2005 - 2008
- President, Forest Hills Citizens Association, 2002 - 2010
- District of Columbia Zoning Review Task Force, 2007 - Present